Dance therapy is a form of expressive therapy that uses movement to communicate emotions and feelings. It can be helpful for people who have difficulty expressing themselves verbally. Dance therapy can help people release their feelings and emotions. This can be helpful for students who are struggling with depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and other mental health issues.
TutorHelp.Club experts highly recommend dance therapy as a form of self-care. It can help people relax and de-stress. Dance therapy can also be a way to connect with others and build relationships. It can help people feel empowered and energized.
In a study on ‘The Effects of Dance Movement Therapy in the Treatment of Depression’ conducted in Finland, it was found that “Dance movement therapy showed a trend of being significantly more efficacious than the control group in reducing depressive symptoms at post-treatment and 3-month follow-up.”
The study was conducted on a group of 109 adults in the range of 18-64 years. 96% of them were females. The control group received the usual treatment while patients in the chosen sample received both the usual treatment and the Dance Movement Therapy (DMT).
What is Dance Movement Therapy?
DMT is a form of psychotherapy that uses movement to express emotions and feelings. It was developed in the 1940s by Anna Halprin and her husband, a dance therapist, and psychologist. DMT is based on the idea that the body holds memories and emotions. When people move, they can release these memories and emotions.
There are different types of dance movement therapy. Some therapies use structured exercises while others encourage free expression.
How does DMT work?
When you seek dance movement therapy, you will work with a therapist who will guide you through the process. The therapist will ask you to move in response to different emotions or feelings. You may be asked to dance in pairs or groups. The therapist will help you interpret the movements and emotions that you are experiencing.
Depressed people, for example, tend to move slowly and have low energy. People with anxiety may move quickly and be fidgety. People who are struggling with an eating disorder may have distorted body images and behave in ways that are not healthy.
The therapist will help you understand the messages that your body is sending. He or she will also help you find ways to express these messages in a healthy way.
What are the benefits of DMT?
Dance movement therapy can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Release of emotions and feelings: Dance movement therapy can help you release emotions and feelings that you may be struggling to express. This can be helpful for students who are struggling with mental health issues. Dancing is a way to express yourself that does not involve words.
- Relaxation and stress relief: Dance movement therapy can help you relax and de-stress. When you dance, your body releases endorphins, which are hormones that make you feel good. This can be a way to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Connection and relationships: Dance movement therapy can help you connect with others and build relationships. When you dance in pairs or groups, you share a common experience. This can help you form friendships and connections.
- Empowerment and energy: Dance movement therapy can help you feel empowered and energized. When you dance, you can express yourself in a way that is positive and healthy. You can also feel the energy of the group and use it to boost your own energy.
- Healing of memories and emotions stored in the body: Dance movement therapy can help you heal memories and emotions that are stored in the body. These memories and emotions may be causing you stress or anxiety. When you release them through dance, you can feel better.
- Reduced depressive symptoms: Dance movement therapy has been shown to reduce depressive symptoms in some people. When you release negative emotions through dance, you may find that your mood improves.
- Curing eating disorders: Dance movement therapy is also used to treat eating disorders. When you use dance to express your emotions, you may find that your eating disorder starts to disappear.
- Improved body image: Dance movement therapy can help you improve your body image. When you see yourself dancing in a positive way, you may start to see yourself in a more positive light.
- Improved physical and mental health: Dance movement therapy can also improve your physical health. When you move your body, you are getting exercise. This can help you stay healthy and fit. It also helps with your mental fitness. When you move your body, you are also stimulating your brain. This can help improve your thinking skills and memory.
If you are struggling with a mental health issue, we encourage you to try dance movement therapy. It may offer the relief that you need.
Why dance is a good way to keep sane during the pandemic and war era?
In these difficult times, we need to find ways to keep our sanity. One way to do this is to dance. Dance is a good way to keep your body and mind healthy. It can help you relax and release stress. It can also help you connect with others.
Some of the ways to keep dancing at home are:
- Watch dance videos on YouTube or other websites.
- Listen to music and dance along.
- Join an online dance class or watch one online.
- Dance in your living room or bedroom.
- Visit a local dance studio and take a class there.
- Go for a walk and dance as you walk.
- Join a dance club or group online.
- Find creative ways to dance with your friends and family.
Choreography is not important when you are dancing to be happy. The most important thing is to move your body and have fun. If you have two left feet, don’t worry. No one is watching you but yourself. Just let go and enjoy yourself.
But you may have to hire a dance therapist if you want to use it to cure mental issues. Many online resources can also help you with that. Thanks for reading!