Foreign students often wonder if taking a considerable number of English-language courses at their home university will help them secure admission to the PR program. The answer, however, is not straightforward because several factors go into making such a decision. Nevertheless, there are certain advantages and disadvantages to taking such courses.
On the plus side, studying at a recognized English-medium institution will provide you with an opportunity to improve your language skills as well as develop a strong academic record that is likely to stand out from that of local students. In addition, some universities may be more inclined to admit your application if you have taken some English-language courses at your home university.
On the downside, it can be difficult to concentrate solely on obtaining an excellent grade in one particular subject (i.e., English) while taking other hard science courses because your performance may suffer as a result. In addition, this type of sub-par performance may affect your overall GPA. The same rule applies even if you are an excellent student; multitasking in this manner can be draining and not beneficial to your academic performance.
You may also consider taking admission in the destination country of your choice. Many countries prefer people who are already well-versed with their language and academic system, thus the earlier you decide the better. Doing a course from the country where you want to settle permanently gives you a chance to assess the system, learn more about the culture and meet people of similar backgrounds. Nevertheless, such courses can be expensive, and knowing which courses can give a boost to your PR application may be helpful in terms of reducing costs.
Best Courses to Gain Permanent Residency in the US
TutorHelp.Club experts suggest that if you want to settle permanently in the US, you can get an edge over your peers if you opt for the following courses:
- Education: Courses related to teaching, research in educational psychology, and counseling are among the most sought-after courses in the US. If you do a course in special education, you may have a good chance of getting a PR. However, it would certainly not harm your application if you take a course related to teaching in primary or secondary schools.
- Humanities: From the PR perspective, courses related to the humanities are considered advantageous. If you have a flair for languages, literature, or writing, you can consider taking up these courses at your university.
- Social Sciences: Interdisciplinary social sciences like economics, sociology and political science are other courses that may stand out on your application. The better you understand society and its working, the more likely you are to succeed in your career.
- Natural and Applied Sciences: PR applicants with undergraduate degrees in the natural and applied sciences also tend to get selected fairly easily. Courses like statistics, biochemistry, and physiology are commonly sought after by universities in all countries.
- Healthcare: Studying nursing from an accredited health care program is another excellent way to boost your chances of becoming a permanent resident. Some universities even offer healthcare-related courses in their business school. For example, some universities offer an MBA program with a concentration in health care management.
- Engineering: Apart from the traditional engineering courses like civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering, you can also try your hands at fields related to biological, chemical, and environmental sciences. Subjects like biochemistry, molecular biology, or microbiology are useful if you want to work as a medical researcher, biochemist, or microbiologist. In addition, many medical schools also look for students with a background in engineering.
- International Relations: A course in international relations is another popular choice for students who want to gain PR in the US. Assuming that you get a high grade, it can be of great help for your application. However, it is certainly worth noting that a degree in international relations provides very limited job opportunities.
- Languages: Taking up courses in language and literature from recognized institutions can also be beneficial to your PR application. Studying a foreign language can help you become conversant with another cultural perspective. In addition, being fluent in a second language is an excellent way to communicate and do business with people from other countries.
- Marketing: Courses in marketing management, retailing and international business are also very helpful when it comes to PR application. In the United States, people with expertise in marketing and sales are highly sought-after.
- Business Administration: Keeping yourself abreast of the latest developments in business and management will make you more competitive in the job market. It is important to note that business skills (e.g., finance and accounting) are always sought after. Studying business can also help you get a PR in the US. If you have strong financial and accounting skills along with an MBA degree from a reputed school, you may find it easier to get a job in the US.
Please keep in mind that there isn’t a single PR course that will get you your permanent residency overnight; rather, you should strategize your application on the basis of your strengths and interests to give yourself a decent chance of getting into one of the most sought-after immigration programs in the world.
Best Courses to Gain Permanent Residency in the UK
Permanent residency in the UK is highly sought-after and competitive; therefore, it is important to choose the right courses that will stand out in your application.
Here we look at some of the popular courses that may be considered advantageous for the UK PR applications:
- Natural and Applied Sciences: Studying courses like psychology, mathematics or geology may be beneficial for your UK PR application. Subjects like physics, chemistry, and biology are also preferred by universities across the globe. Some medical schools even consider applicants with backgrounds in engineering or biochemistry. In addition, a degree in chemistry helps you become a chemist, while a degree in biology will land you a job in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Languages: Languages are a popular choice for students who want to gain PR in the UK. This is because you can use your language skills as a means of communication and business even if you don’t hold a specific degree. In addition, it will allow you to easily connect with people from other cultures which also adds value to your application.
- Criminology: Subjects like criminology are also popular choices when it comes to gaining PR in the UK. You may have seen many news reports about criminals who have been convicted for drug trafficking or fraud offenses. Criminals with strong backgrounds in accountancy, finance, law, and management can use their skills to conduct complex international transactions without raising any red flags.
- International Relations: A course in international relations is another popular choice for students who want to gain PR in the UK. Having a degree in international relations will help you work as a political analyst, diplomat, or journalist and operate at the highest levels of government and economy.
- Business: Courses like marketing, business management, entrepreneurship, and international business can be very advantageous for your PR application. It is worth bearing in mind that the world’s biggest companies are constantly on the lookout for individuals who have completed a course in business or management. The language skills acquired in such courses can also be used to do business across borders and operate internationally.
- Education: Anthropology, archaeology, and sociology courses from well-reputed universities will certainly look good when you apply for a UK PR visa. Studying education or humanities can increase your chances of being selected for a PR.
- Healthcare: Prospective students who want to study healthcare courses are advised to gain expertise in areas like nursing, paramedical science, medicine, and allied health care procedures. Many hospitals across the UK are looking out for qualified experts in these fields. Students with degrees in medicine, dentistry, and pharmacology are preferred by most hospitals.
- Art and Design: Students who have a flair for art and design can look forward to gaining admission in specialized courses in creative arts and graphic design. An advantage of studying the humanities is that you will be able to create your portfolio which can help your application immensely.
- Media: The media industry is highly competitive, and applicants with degrees in journalism, broadcasting, or cinematography can make a strong claim to UK PR. Applicants with degrees in languages, arts, and media are preferred by most of the top universities across the UK.
- Engineering: Studying courses related to engineering can be an excellent choice for your PR application, especially if you are good at mathematics, physics, or chemistry. A background in these subjects will make it easier for you to get into civil, electrical, or chemical engineering courses. It is worth noting that a degree in engineering provides you with a lot of job opportunities across the world.
If you need the help of an education consultant who can guide you for Canada PR, we have some of the best experts at Transutors to help you understand the process, document requirements, and how to streamline your profile.
Best Courses to Gain Permanent Residency in Canada
In Canada, immigration is a priority for the government and this makes it easier for individuals who want to gain permanent resident status in Canada. The categories of candidates eligible to apply under various programs include skilled foreign workers, business immigrants, provincial nominees, and family members.
Studying at any college or university can help you find a job that will give you good work experience and boost your PR application. Many foreign students choose courses in healthcare, engineering, management, business, and law to apply for a Canada PR visa.
- Engineering: Studying electrical or mechanical engineering can be an excellent choice when you want to gain permanent residence in Canada. Students with backgrounds in chemistry and physics are preferred candidates when it comes to a Canada PR application. Business management and health care courses are always in demand in Canada, but students who have studied engineering or medical sciences can expect to get a call from the Canadian High Commission for an interview.
- Healthcare: Studying nursing, paramedical science, medicine, and allied health care procedures can be advantageous as you can use such courses to work in Canada. Courses related to medicine and dentistry are a pre-requisite for applying under the Canadian PR application.
- Marketing: Applicants with a background in marketing, advertising, media, or public relations can also apply to study courses in these fields at any college or university. The advantage of studying courses related to management is that you can easily secure a job in Canada.
- Law: Studying law courses at top universities is often preferred by applicants who want to apply for the Canada PR visa program. Lawyers are always in demand, and students with backgrounds in law can expect to gain employment and work experience during their course.
- Journalism: Students who have a flair for writing, broadcasting, or cinematography can gain specialized courses in creative arts and graphic design to become successful PR applicants. A degree in the humanities is an advantage as it will help you create your own portfolio which can be used as part of your Canada PR application.
- Education: Applicants who have studied education or humanities in their undergraduate degrees can look forward to gaining admission to universities in Canada. Applicants with backgrounds in languages, art, and media are preferred when applying for a Canada PR visa.
- Culinary Arts: Students who have studied courses related to culinary arts or baking can also apply under the Canadian Express Entry program. A degree in pastry cooking or patisserie is preferred by the immigration authorities in Canada.
- Accounting: A degree in accounting or finance can be advantageous when you apply for the Canadian PR visa program. Those with qualifications related to commerce, economics, and business administration are preferred applicants under various categories of Canada PR visas.
- Computer Science: Studying courses related to information systems, computer science or software engineering can be an advantage when applying for the Canada PR visa, especially if you are looking to get permanent residency in Canada.
- Science: Applicants who have studied science courses at the undergraduate level are preferred candidates under various categories of Canada PR visas. A degree in life sciences, computer science, or mathematics can help you make a good impression on the immigration authorities in Canada.
With so many options to choose from, students can take their pick when they are looking for courses at any college or university for an advantage during the Canada PR application process. All that they need to do is research different colleges and universities, learn about their tuition fees and course structure before applying for the Canada PR visa.
Best Courses to Gain Permanent Residency in Australia
Many people dream of becoming permanent residents of Australia because it offers them several benefits. The best part about Australia is that you can work and live there even if you do not have family in the country.
Studying courses related to science, management or commerce can be advantageous when it comes to applying for PR in Australia. Accountancy, marketing, information technology, and other areas are expected to gain employment quickly after completing their studies.
The best part about PR Australia is that you do not need to be a graduate to apply for the visa program as it provides various options such as diploma courses, certificate courses, and trade courses. Students who have studied science courses at the undergraduate level can look forward to gaining admission to renowned institutions which can help them boost their applications for Australia PR visas.
Here are some of the Australian courses in which you can enroll to give a boost to your PR application:
- Business: The business course can be advantageous when you are applying for temporary or permanent residency in Australia. Students who have completed their associate degree in business, liberal arts, or other areas which are related to commerce can boost their PR applications in Australia.
- Economics: Applicants who have a degree in economics, mathematics, and actuarial studies can look forward to settling in Australia easily. PR Australia candidates who have studied economics, management, or business administration are preferred when applying for the visa program.
- Computer Science: Studying computer science or information technology can be advantageous when you are aspiring to get your Australia PR visa. Applicants with qualifications related to computer science, software engineering, and other related areas are preferred when applying for the visa program.
- Human Resource Management: Applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree in human resource management, psychology, or other related areas can look forward to finding a job in Australia easily. PR applicants with qualifications related to these subjects are usually preferred by the Australian immigration department.
- Computing or Information Technology: Studying computing or information technology can be advantageous when you are aspiring to become a permanent resident in Australia. Applicants with qualifications related to computing, engineering, or software development are preferred when applying for the visa program.
- Medicine: Studying medicine is not an easy task and Australian immigration authorities prefer students who have completed their studies successfully before applying for the visa program even if they do not have work experience. Visa aspirants with qualifications related to medicine such as dentistry, nursing, midwifery, and other medical areas are preferred.
- Science: Applicants who have completed their bachelor’s degree in sciences such as biological and physical sciences, chemistry, and other related areas can look forward to jobs in industries like agricultural science, environmental science, and other sectors.
- Liberal Arts: Studying liberal arts can be advantageous when it comes to applying for PR in Australia as the country is looking forward to attracting more people from diverse backgrounds such as language studies, political science, anthropology, and international relations. People with qualifications related to these subjects are preferred when applying for the visa program.
- Short Courses: Australian PR applicants can get a boost if they opt for short-term courses like foreign language courses, cooking, or other relevant short-term courses. Applicants who have completed their vocational studies successfully are usually preferred by the immigration authorities.
- Trade Courses: PR visa aspirants who have studied one-year or two-year trade courses such as accounting, engineering, and design can look forward to gaining admission in Australia and boosting their visa application.
Australia’s Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) issues PR visas after assessing applicants on their skills, qualifications, English language proficiency, and other relevant factors. Applicants who have studied in Australia have an advantage as they have a better understanding of the Australian education system, culture, and lifestyle.
TutorHelp.Club experts can help you choose the right courses if you want to settle in Australia. Consult them now!